Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Book Review: Whatever Life Throws at You By Julie Cross




Title: Whatever Life Throws at You
Author: Julie Cross
Source: ARC from Publisher
Buy Link: Amazon / B&N / Goodreads


Synopsis: 


Life loves a good curveball…

Seventeen-year-old Annie Lucas's life is completely upended the moment her dad returns to the major leagues as the new pitching coach for the Kansas City Royals. Now she's living in Missouri (too cold), attending an all-girls school (no boys), and navigating the strange world of professional sports. But Annie has dreams of her own—most of which involve placing first at every track meet…and one starring the Royals' super-hot rookie pitcher.

But nineteen-year-old Jason Brody is completely, utterly, and totally off-limits. Besides, her dad would kill them both several times over. Not to mention Brody has something of a past, and his fan club is filled with C-cupped models, not smart-mouthed high school “brats” who can run the pants off every player on the team. Annie has enough on her plate without taking their friendship to the next level. The last thing she should be doing is falling in love.

But baseball isn't just a game. It's life. And sometimes, it can break your heart…






My Review: 

It's been over a month, since I read this book, and I still don't know if I can adequately express how much I absolutely adored this fantabulous book. But I'm going to try. 

I adored Annie, she seemed to be this quirky teenage girl who knew what she wanted to do and who she wanted to be. She isn't perfect, of course, what teenage girl is really perfect, and has her own issues, especially in coming to terms with dealing with her, whats the nicest way to say this, whackadoodle mother. I love how she opesn up to Jason and truly lets him know her and see who she is, even when she doesn't think she's doing that.  

Jason, oh sweet, hot, Jason. He was a wonderful character in all ways. He struggles with a lot of personal things, but instead of letting them get him down or worrying about how they'll affect his future, he puts all his energy and focus on the future.  This doesn't work all that well for him, but you can see from the beginning that he's full of heart and all class.  

There are social media posts and texts throughout the book, and this really pops to me as something a typical teenager would be doing with thier, life, the individual posts/texts also add tiny details to the rest of the story.  Little glimpses into the real inner workings of life.  


The snarky sarcasm between Jason and Annie had me laughing sometimes, but it felt real, nothing about thier friendship turned romance felt rushed or forced and each aspect built on each other and only made me feel their emotions more and more. 

There are so many swoon-worthy moments in this story, I couldn't even list them all, not that I would spoil you. But I will say this and it won't make sense until/unless you read the book, Find a good spanish to english translator. You'll want it handy.  Trust me! 

The entire cast of characters, From Annie's dad to the rest of the team all have a crucial part in this story, there isn't one that seems extraneous. I love when a story is so full of characters that create a full impact. 


Whatever Life Throws at You was quite literally one of the best YA books I've read thus far in 2014.  A book that I can savor as I read and then regret finishing so quickly can only earn 5 stars.  




No comments:

Post a Comment